I know there are a few of you who have been patiently (and impatiently) waiting for the pattern for Sophie’s Garden, so I am excited and relieved to finally share it with you.
The example above was made using 2 strands of Stylecraft Special Dk and a 5.5 mm hook. You can now find a list of the colours I used HERE.
Although this is not officially part of the Block a Week CAL 2014, I know there are a few ladies who are wanting to incorporate this square into their blankets. If you wish to do so, remember to use the same hook and yarn as for the rest of your squares and it will come out the same size as 4 of the other squares.
Have fun! I am off to eat some Chinese and have me a big glass of wine!!
©Dedri Uys 2014. All Rights Reserved.
Special design credit to Chris Simon for the use of a modified version of her Lace Petals flower.
- Dutch Photo Tutorial (CAL) by Dianne Baan
- German Photo Tutorials Parts 1 – 4 by Gabriele Rogers
- Spanish Translation Parts 1 – 4 by Lynda Hernandez
- French Translation Parts 1 – 4 by Sandra Larvin
- Danish Translation Parts 1 – 4 by Tina Poulsen
Using worsted weight yarn and dc stitches:
8 rows and 18 st’s per 4” (10 cm) square.
19” (48 cm) in diameter.
- 4 mm crochet hook (US G/6 UK 8)
- Worsted weight yarn or double knit yarn (light worsted weight) – approx. 450 meters/500 yards
- Yarn Needle
- Using a gauge of 7 rows and 16 st’s per 4” (10 cm) square, your final size will be roughly 22” (56 cm). I get this gauge by using a 5.5 mm crochet hook (US 9/I UK 5) and worsted weight yarn.
- Using a gauge of 6 rows and 14 st’s per 4” (10 cm) square, your final size will be roughly 24” (61 cm). I get this gauge by using bulky yarn and a 6 mm crochet hook (US 10/J UK 4) OR 2 strands of double knit yarn and a 5.5 mm crochet hook (US 9/I UK 5).
Update 2/3/15: Sophie’s Garden is now growing into Sophie’s Universe. I have removed the photo tutorial that used to live here and I have added links to the new and improved tutorials. The instructions remain the same, so if you were in the middle of a round, just hop over to the new tutorial and continue on.
Sophie’s Garden Pattern/Tutorials
- Part 1: The instructions for Rounds 1 – 8 can be found HERE as Part 1 of Sophie’s Universe.
- Part 2: The instructions for Rounds 9 – 15 can be found HERE as Part 2 of Sophie’s Universe.
- Part 3: The instructions for Rounds 16 – 25 can be found HERE as Part 3 of Sophie’s Universe.
- Part 4: The instructions for Rounds 26 – 36 can be found HERE as Part 4 of Sophie’s Universe.
Thank you to Kimberly Slifer, Claire Martin, Beth Spaulding, and Venetia Smith for testing and proofing this pattern for me!
This blog post contains affiliate links. I only link to products I personally use or would use. All opinions are my own.